Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I wish I did this more often...

I have seen 41 movies so far this year. I have rated all of them, but unfortunately I do not have the time to write full reviews. Maybe in the summer....


Also, I seem to be drawn more towards cinema and TV than music nowadays. In this age where facebook/pitchfork/myspace control the majority of all media, I find it less exciting to discover a new band. Especially when that band is so accesible to others. Take Local Natives, for instance. Just last year, they were big fat nobodies. They played a show in Monterey, where they dragged Sarah and I in off the street asking us to gather up 10 friends, and if that goal was met, we could get in for free. Now, that was something exciting. Especially to find out they are genuinely good. Next thing I know my friend Eric, from Oakland, is asking if I have heard of them. I did not understand how a small band playing Monter-fucking-rey could have obtained such popularity. But then I discovered their album "Gorilla Manor" had pulled an 8.4 on Pitchfork and they are playing every major festival from here to Switzerland. It was somewhat of a disappoint, that it was so easy for a band to become "the next big thing." Especially since that band sounds like so many other bands (see Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, etc). There was no fun involved in spreading the word of them. No catchy gimmick to cause them fame. Hell nothing even unique about them. They are 5 dudes with mustaches. One of which, in a conversation with me and Sarah, exclaimed he "had never grown a mustache before; it just feels like something I should do."

I dunno, this makes me sound retarded and pompous, but it just seems like music nowadays is far too recycled. I have no idea how I ended up rambling here, for it wasn't my initial intention. But back to the basics: it is far easier for me to find a new movie to drool over than it is for me to find a new album.

0 lurks:

Post a Comment